[MCOH-EH] Annual TB testing question

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Wed May 9 13:43:29 PDT 2018

On our annual TB Risk Assessment or 2017, we are now classified as a low risk facility  (4 TB patients and 0.06% conversion rate).  We are in the process of decreasing the number of employees who are required to have an annual TB test.  We will continue to test all new hires using the QFT Plus and will test annually those employees who are at highest risk for exposure, work in procedural areas such as bronchoscopy/pulmonary, critical care units, Emergency Department, and other designated areas.  We have reduced our annual TB testing from 8100 in 2015 to around 4400 in 2016 and now will test around 1900 starting June 2018 (23% of our employees).

We are continuing an annual respiratory questionnaire to ensure we have documentation of symptoms and will require testing of employees who have traveled to areas with endemic TB.

Areas requiring annual TB testing may fluctuate year to year, based on our TB risk assessment.   Other  healthcare organizations in Florida have either eliminated or markedly reduced the annual TB test requirements for their employees also.

Have any of your healthcare organizations reduced the number of employees who are required to have an annual TB test?

If yes,  would you mind sharing how many of your employees have been removed from the annual TB testing requirements?

Thank you so much!   JoAnn

[TGH_employee health serv-color]
JoAnn Shea, ARNP, MS, COHN-S
Director, Employee Health & Wellness      "Caring for our Caregivers"
Work: 813-844-7692    Cell:  813-789-3441    FAX;  813-844-8144    Email:  jshea at tgh.org<mailto:jshea at tgh.org>