[MCOH-EH] respirator straps

Auerbach, Karl KAuerbach at emblemhealth.com
Fri Mar 27 16:22:59 PDT 2020

I haven't seen anything on this topic but its certainly possible I missed it.  And I am sure others have had the same idea.

In the best of all worlds, we could use respirators for the time needed and then get a new one.   Or if the strap breaks, a new respirator is available.  And, our respirators would be current and not old,

But it's not the bests of all worlds and we need respirators.

One of the things that appears to be happening to older respirators is that the rubber on the straps deteriorates faster than the respirator itself.   Or the strap breaks on even a new respirator as tightened.   That may be a respirator lost.

An engineer friend noted he has had this on things like dust masks, etc.
Usually the strap will keep breaking if you staple it back on.

Use a fresh respirator if the strap breaks.  Use a new stock respirator if you have it.

But, try a heavy duty rubber band stapled on and keep using what you have until a better solution comes along.

Karl Auerbach MD
Albany, NY

My hope, nothing more...
This electronic message from EmblemHealth is intended for the use only of the named recipient(s), and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify the sender of the message immediately at the e-mail address above and delete and destroy all copies of this message.