[MCOH-EH] Drug Testing

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Wed May 4 05:33:57 PDT 2022

We do a rapid 5 panel drug test in the clinic and test for THC, opiates, cocaine, amphetamines and meth.   Any + rapid is sent out for a confirmatory test to an outside lab and MRO.  Results take up to 3-5 days for send outs.

  95% of our rapid tests  are negative and we can clear the new hire during the onboarding visit.

However, if the person is on a prescription medication and shows us the prescription bottle, and the rapid is +, we require a review with the RN.    We do have quite a few people on ADHD meds with + amphetamine and a few on opiates short term for dental, etc.

After review, the RN may clear them to start orientation before we receive the confirmatory results.     If a new hire misses orientation, they need to wait another two weeks for the next one and we try to avoid that as much as possible with the current labor shortage.

JoAnn Shea, APRN, MS, COHN-S
Director, Team Member Health and Wellness
Tampa General Hospital
Office: 813-844-7692
Cell:      813-789-3441
jshea at tgh.org<mailto:jshea at tgh.org>