[MCOH-EH] Marijuana legalization

David S. Cockrum David.S.Cockrum at hitchcock.org
Mon Nov 27 09:34:04 PST 2023

Prior to my arrival at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, it was decided to change employment policy to tolerate some marijuana use. In New Hampshire, recreational use is not legal but THC is available through a medical card. However, it is readily available recreationally in Vermont and Massachusetts. So policy now allows a cutoff of  100 ng/mL. We perform a rapid urine drug screen on all applicants, if the THC is non-negative, the specimen is sent to the lab. With the lab report, levels of 100 ng/mL and less are deemed negative by policy. Levels above 100 may be tolerated with the MRO making a risk-based determination after speaking with the donor.

I’m not a huge fan of this approach, but it’s what was being done when I got here. There is a huge gray area about the risk-based determination portion and no guidance on how to manage safety sensitive positions. I’m hoping to address this in the near future if I can get HR, legal, and all the other right players to come together and make a decision.

David

David S. Cockrum, MD, MPH
He/Him/His
Medical Director & Section Chief